Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anal foreplay
Oct 12, 2001

During a recent sexual encounter the other person began massaging my rectum with their fingers.I was concerned and had them stop after about a minute.All other activities involved a condom and I only concerned about the massage.What was my risk?

Response from Mr. Kull

Try to think about the model that is used to describe the sexual transmission of HIV:

HIV INFECTED FLUIDS (semen, vaginal/cervical secretions, or blood) -- coming into direct contact with -- MUCOUS MEMBRANES (the lining of the rectum, vagina, or mouth) or the BLOODSTREAM (through fresh, open cuts and sores)

Then think about the sexual behaviors that are KNOWN to transmit HIV:

ANAL, VAGINAL, and ORAL SEX

Your activity, having the anus massaged with a finger, does not fit either the model for transmission (no fluid) nor the known behaviors involving transmission (finger contact with anus). Therefore there is no risk for transmission.

RMK

Previous
Home Access
Next
CONFUSED AND THINKING OF KILLING MYSELF!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.