Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Vaginal fluid on finger
Oct 8, 2001

Dear Dr. Kull, I wrote to you a few weeks ago but have not seen your reply. I know you are busy. Here is my story: I inserted my bare fingers in an HIV+ woman's vagina and fingered her for 10 minutes. (No cut or sore on fingers but some dry cracks on cuticles, no blood). My fingernails were long so I am afraid that I torn the membrane of her vagina to cause it bleed. I developed rashes on chest 5 weeks ago. They faded and then reappeared and they lasted for about 5 weeks. I read some articles related to HIV posted by the American Association of Family Physicians and by the Journal of the American Medical Asso. They report that more than 70 percent of those who get infected develop rashes within 2 weeks and that ARS COULD LAST FOR WEEKS AND EVEN FOR MONTHS. According to their data, those who do not experience any symptom may be asymptomatic but are more likely to be uninfected. Do you agree with this and that the symptoms could last for more than 6 weeks? Do you think I would be a candidate? If you were in my case, would you go get tested. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH FOR REPLYING!!

Response from Mr. Kull

There is no evidence that HIV is transmitted through fingering/hand contact with another person's genitals. See the response to "What are the risks from fingering someone" (http://thebody.com/sowadsky/faqs/faq1.html#fingering).

DO NOT base your risk for HIV infection on symptoms alone. The fact that you only fingered your partner makes your risk practically zero. There are many different causes for rashes, so if you have questions about that, see your physician or a dermatologist.

RMK

Previous
Honest Advice
Next
Condom Used Properly

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.