Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

transmission through cuts
Oct 7, 2001

About two months ago, I encountered someone who had fallen on a city street, and with the assistance of another person, helped the guy to his feet. He was obviously high on something, and his nose was bleeding rather profusely. Without going into great detail, some of his blood, etc., got on my hands, and I did have an exposed cut. Whether or not his blood got in that area I can't tell, because I quickly wiped my hand on my shirt, it was dark, etc. I had sort of put this out of my mind, but I am getting rather panicky. I do have a wife, and I've found myself avoiding her like the plague. I realize the chances of being infected with ANYTHING are slim, but this guy looked like someone who was on drugs and not very healthy. Zonked out, is the right description. The area where this occurred is also frequented by "all types," including intraveneous drug users (a fact that the local precinct cops verified). I guess I will answer my own question by saying I should get tested, the the thought of that scares the hell out of me. What do you think, doctor?

Response from Mr. Kull

Any time you are exposed to the blood of a person who is of unknown or significant risk, or who is known to be HIV positive, and the blood possibly or definitely came into contact with your mucous membranes or bloodstream, testing is recommended. While the chances of being infected in the episode you describe are very low, it is understandable that you would want to get an HIV antibody test. Unless you had a fresh, open cut where the blood came into contact, HIV would not have been transmitted.

Have you talked with your wife about your concerns? Maybe that would be more helpful than avoiding her like the plague.

RMK

Previous
Transmission through cuts
Next
How Can I Help ...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.