Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

infection from using other's tooth brush
Oct 7, 2001

I really appreciate for your service. Before putting the question, i have gone through the entire site looking for answer to my question, because i don't want waste your precious time.

Today morning i woke up and because of dizziness( because i slept so late)and thinking about something i went to the bathroom and used my roommates tooth brush. While brushing i realized that there would be some thing different with the brush. I immediately looked the brush and was so confused and horrified because i was using my roommates brush. Still now i am thinking why this happened. I have been blaming myself. It never happened in my life. My roommate used that brush yesterday evening. I know that there is risk involved in sharing the brush or razor. What consoling me is there was about 12 hours time gap between his and my brushing. I know that hiv can't survive much time. Please answer me whether i should worry about this incident or simply ignore it.

Thanks you very much.

Response from Mr. Kull

If your roomate is infected with HIV, it is highly unlikely that HIV would be transmitted to you by sharing his toothbrush twelve hours after he used it. Frankly, transmission through sharing a toothbrush is not a likely event (there is no actual evidence that HIV has been transmitted this way). It is recommended that one does not share the toothbrush or razor of an infected person because blood left on the objects could transmit HIV. However, transmission is highly unlikely because HIV does not survive in the environment long (see http://www.thebody.com/cdc/survival.html). These recommendations exist as a precaution for those living with HIV infected individuals.

RMK

Previous
My story(read to get some courage)
Next
Transmission through cuts

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.