old cold sore and oral sex

Dear Ryan, I, too, must thank you for the invaluable information and insightful advice your provide in this forum. My concern is this:

Last night, I received oral sex (I was the insertive partner) from a man. He had sucked my penis a few (2-3) minutes and kissed the side of it a couple of times before I noticed a dark spot on his skin, just beside the corner of his mouth. It was difficult to see at first, because he had a mustasch. I stopped him and asked him what the spot was, and he said that he had a cold. This spot was evidently an "old" cold sore (it had a scab on it)! Now I am extremely worried that I've been infected with the herpes virus because of this exposure!

Please advise me on the odds of my being infected by this encounter. I have always tried to be extremely careful and practice only safe sex (mutual mastubation and occasional insertive oral sex). I have never had a STD before and am very afraid now.

It is difficult to say if you were exposed to herpes simplex virus 1 (presuming that HSV-1 was the cause of the sore you saw on his lip) because it is possible that the sore was no longer infectious. It is possible to transmit HSV-1 to the genital region, but some sources report that HSV-1 in the genital region tends to have a less severe course than HSV-2 infections (the type that generally causes genital herpes lesions). See my response to "Cold sore=genital herpes" (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Hepatitis/Q37272.qna).

It is estimated that 90% of Americans are infected with HSV-1, which means that there is a good chance you've been exposed to HSV-1 before. Having HSV-1 may provide some protection from new infections because you already have antibodies that could protect you from new infections.

RMK

infected sperm
eating food in a restaurant