Odds for a Top Guy

Dear Ryan,

Thanks for your great work, patience and keen insight.

Im a gay male who enjoys receiving oral sex from other men (rarely use a condom); I also enjoy being a top and always use a condom- these are really my only practices. Given the current research, what do you think my chances are of getting HIV/AIDS?

Im currently under the care of a therapist and discuss my sexual behavior and subsequent feelings all the time. But I still feel anxiety and unsettling feelings. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan.

I think it's great that you are seeing a therapist to talk about your sex life and feelings surrounding that. I encourage you to keep talking with your therapist because it can take some time before you begin to understand yourself and your relationships better. It's hard work, but can be well worth it.

In terms of your risk, it sounds like you are at quite low risk for infection. If you use latex condoms for anal sex and only receive oral sex from partners, then you are at low-risk for infection. Intact condoms can prevent the transmission of HIV and other STD related microorganisms and there is no evidence that people get infected when receiving oral sex without condoms.

RMK

Elisa test and HIV strains
HIV in needle