Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blisters on lips/Viral load test
Sep 28, 2001

My daughter is only 20 months old. I know that sharing food is not typically a risk in getting HIV. However, she IMMEDIATELY ate a strawberry after an HIV+ person ate a part of it. He had an open herpes sore at the time. I had an antibody test done at 5 weeks and a viral load test done at 7 1/2 weeks post exposure. The viral load test was for >400 c/ml. She tested negative for both tests. She had a blister on her the inside of her lip 4 weeks after exposure that formed, broke and went away in 24 hours. She had a second blister 10 days later (which prompted me to have her tested). I can not explain the blisters, so I am still terrified that she may have been infected with HIV. Is there any chance that she is HIV+ even thought the viral load test came back negative at 7 1/2 weeks (< 400 c/ml). She has not gained any weight for the past 3 months. I am so scared. Is the Home Access test kit a high sensitivity test (that would show positive at 3 months post exposure?). Please help!

Response from Mr. Kull

Sharing food with an HIV infected person is not a way that HIV is transmitted...period. Sharing the food immediately or the presence of a herpes sore does not change this. The risk of transmitting herpes virus is also small unless there is direct contact. There is no evidence that HIV is spread through casual contact.

It sounds like you are attempting to alleviate your own anxiety about your daughter's HIV status by having unecessary tests performed. This may not only be unhelpful to you, but anxiety provoking for your daughter. If you remain concerned about her HIV status, having one antibody test at three months is sufficient (the Home Access test is fine for this).

If you continue to feel anxious about this please talk to a professional about your fears.

RMK

Previous
Hair cut ???
Next
Bleeding and pain after sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.