Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sexual preference ?
Sep 17, 2001

Dear Ryan. Thanks for the good work. I usually read this forum to gain more knowledge on HIV and Aids matters. I am a bi-sexual guy who loves to enjoy safe sex with my partners. However, with the fears of HIV, I am now forced to have sex with opposite gender only---Female. If I have sex with man, I am the receiver of anal sex. I read from the information, even having safe sex, (Oral, Vaginal, Anal) with condoms on, the gay man still have a higher chance in getting HIV, especially the receiver side. I am suffing emotional depress, since I cannot enjoy the sex that I like, please advice.

Response from Mr. Kull

Gay and bisexual men are not genetically predisposed to HIV infection just because they like to have sex with men. Latex condoms that do not break, tear or slip off during anal and vaginal sex are highly effective in preventing HIV transmission for everyone, regardless of their partner's gender or their sexual activity. If you use condoms for anal sex and they remain intact, then your risk for infection is almost zero.

It is important that you find ways to satisfy yourself sexually while remaining as safe as possible. While it sounds like you have managed to have safer sex, your anxiety is getting in the way of having sexual contact with men. Men who have sex with men (at least in the United States) are at greater risk for coming into contact with HIV infected people than their heterosexual counterparts, which can lead to negative psychological reactions. It is important that you acknowledge that fear and find ways to manage it in your life, as opposed to letting the fear control your life.

Talking with others who are familiar with these issues can be extremely helpful. Whether it is a friend, a support group, or a professional, do your best to talk about your fears and frustrations.

RMK

Previous
A whitehead on the penis?
Next
100th try: Please answer this!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.