Sep 10, 2001
Yesterday I was involved in a sexual experience I am very concerned about. This involved vaginal sex with a girl I had met....During sex, I was wearing a condom, so I thought little about pulling out when I had to finish. So, I kept thrusting and finished inside her. After I pulled out and went into the bathroom, I noticed the condom had totally ripped! It was basically hanging off my penis. A couple questions...
1. I am ALWAYS very careful about safe sex, so that is why I am so scared...what are the chances of contracting HIV from a one time experience with a condom ripping like this? (I'm not sure of her sexual past)
2. What are the chances of her getting pregnant from an experience like this? She had mentioned to me that she had just finished her period the day before so she thought she was at a less risk to get pregnant...true?
3. Finally, does her just finishing her period the previous day play any part in an increased or decreased chance of contracting HIV???
A concerned male
| Response from Mr. Kull
Having a condom breakage happen to you can be an upsetting experience. It is important to remember that, according to the CDC, the majority of condom breaks do not result in HIV infection. This is probably true for several reasons, including the fact that the odds of getting infected in one exposure are pretty low (see "Recent Study of Per Contact Risk" http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/TransmissionSexual/Q13167.qna).
For questions about pregnancy, please consult either Planned Parenthood (http://www.plannedparenthood.org/index.html) or see The Body's "Where you can learn about pregnancy..." (http://www.thebody.com/sowadsky/learn.html).
If your partner is HIV infected, the mucuous membranes of your penis being exposed to her menstrual blood may increase your risk for infection. Other factors, such as her viral load and your immune response will play a role in this as well.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Hair Loss After Anal Sex Top Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Vagina After Anal Fingering Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Penis After Getting Scratched Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Can Chlamydia Cause Pain During Sex?
- Can Genital Warts Be Cured With Over The Counter Wart Medicine?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.