I Can't Get Past It

Mr. Ryan,

Please help me. A little over 15 months ago I had one episode of unprotected vaginal sex with a male of unknown status. I am female. Shortley after, I developed extreme nausia, minor fatigue, and most alarming, the macropapular rash. It was not widespread and it was on my butt. I checked my temperature frequently, but never had one. I got an elisa 4-5 weeks after the exposure which was neg. I just got a home access done (now over 15 months since the exposure) because I am still so scared, It came back neg. I am scared it is falsely neg. due to my anxiety and stress. I just can't get past the fact I had the rash. About 6 months ago I started having eye probs, like floaters, halos around lights at night. I went to the eye doctor and everything checked out fine. Do you think my 1st test was a good indicator? Do you think my second test is reliable even though I was stressed? Is the rash commonly seen on the butt? Pleae help! My mind is racing!

Your first test is somewhat reliable, and your second one is extremely reliable. Your two HIV negative tests are confirmation that you are not infected. Being stressed out or anxious WILL NOT change the accuracy of your test result. Based on your test results, the rash you had on your butt has nothing to do with HIV.

It sounds like you are really anxious. If my response helps you to feel better, then great. If you continue to feel anxious, you might want to talk with a mental health professional about your anxiety. There is considerable help available for people who experience problematic levels of anxiety. See the National Institiute of Mental Health's information on anxiety to help you assess your situation (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/anxiety/anxietymenu.cfm).

RMK

Timescale - what to look for
can i get hiv from receving oral sex