Swallowing cum

I performed oral sex on a man 5 years ago. He ejaculated in my mouth and I swallowed. I doubt if he was HIV+, but do not know for sure. I have not been tested for HIV.

You mention the risk is low for being infected with HIV after oral sex. What is the risk if sperm enters the stomach? Would a virus be killed by the stomach acids?

Your risk for infection may be increased when an HIV infected man ejaculates in your mouth because potentially more HIV is coming into contact with the mucous membranes of your mouth. Swallowing may also increase your risk because HIV infected fluid is coming into contact with your throat. HIV in your stomach does not pose a risk for infection.

Some sources suggest that spitting out ejaculate is better than swallowing; there is no scientific evidence to support this. While common sense may dictate that spitting out semen reduces the amount of time fluid is in contact with your mouth, this may not translate well into science.

For more about oral sex, see "Oral Sex" (http://thebody.com/safesex/oralsex.html).

RMK

HIV risk to post-op transgenders
Is an annual physical enough?