The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

herpes serology

Aug 30, 2001

Dear Sir, I had an encounter of protected sexual intercourse with a sex worker. My penis was sore three days later and also tingling in my groin accompinied by fever and night sweats. I took PEP for thirty days and have tested negative at 6 months. Also negative at 3 months by quest diagnostics herpes serology. Are herpes serologies reliable? I had no open lesions to culture. Do herpes serologies have a window period? Do I need further HIV testing or is 6 months enough. Thank You

Response from Mr. Kull

First of all, taking post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) following the type of sexual encounter (protected sex) you had is not necessary. PEP is only indicated for high-risk exposures, i.e., unprotected anal or vaginal sex with a person of known HIV seropositivity or at siginificant risk for infection. Also, PEP is only useful if started within 24-36 hours following exposure.

Testing at six months following a low-risk exposure is plenty of time for an accurate HIV antibody result.

For information on herpes detection methods, read the response to "How reliable is testing for Herpes Simplex Disease?" ( HSV antibody testing is useful in identifying HSV-infected asymptomatic patients, but its usefulness ends there. HSV antibody testing is limited because it does not give information on the sympotms one might or might not experience and transmissibility. Also, testing is insensitive for recent infections. Currently, screening of asymptomatic people is not recommended since it does not inform treatment or prevention.


Department of Health
odds of infection

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint