Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral Questions
Aug 29, 2001

Ok I just read a report that involved 198 people(I think they were all male but not sure) who were followed over a two year period to see if they contracted HIV via oral sex. The results were one person...maybe because his infection was traced to a period of time before his behavior was limited to oral sex. My question is this, do you belive this puts the odds of infection through oral sex off the charts in other words does it mean that its an exstream long shot at best? What about oral sex with a woman would this mean it would even be more difficult to aquire HIV through performing orally on a female? Could you or do you know of any one who has any idea of an estimate on the odds of infection via oral sexual contact? Whats your opinon?

Response from Mr. Kull

Please see my response to "Receptive oral sex: new info..." (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q64772.qna).

It is important to remember that this is just one study with a relatively small sample size. It is difficult to generalize the results of the study into a number that accurately represents the risk of infection through receptive fellatio for everyone. The study basically reflects what researchers have been speculating all along: the risk of infection by performing oral sex an HIV positive man is low, much lower than having unprotected vaginal or anal sex. There are only a few documented cases of transmission to a person performing oral sex on an HIV positive woman.

RMK

Previous
TESTS , RESULT , STILL WORRIED
Next
Size?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.