Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk?
Aug 29, 2001

Dear Mr Kull, I would like to ask you a question about HIV transmission that is worrying me slightly. I am getting married in two weeks and both my boyfriend and I have had HIV tests, both negative. There is this incident that worries me slightly - while I was using a public toilet and the inside of my underwear (i.e. the part that covers the peri-vaginal area) came in contact with the toilet seat). I had not paid much attention to the toilet seat before using it. When I finished using the toilet (i.e after my underwear had touched it) I could not notice any stain on the seat. My underwear was black, so it would have been difficult to notice any stain on it. I proceeded to put on my underwear. I would like to know if there is any risk for HIV transmission. I have asked a Health Advisor and they said that there was no risk at all, but I would like to have a confirmation to put it completely out of my mind. Yours grateful.

Response from Mr. Kull

The Health Advisor you spoke with sounds wise. HIV is not transmitted by using a toilet seat or through any other forms of casual contact. The odds of such an event ocurring are astronomically low (partly because HIV does not survive in the environment very long: see http://thebody.com/cdc/survival.html). HIV is primarily spread through unprotected vaginal and anal sex, sharing injection needles, and from mother to infant.

RMK

Previous
HIV- lover performed oral on me and grazed my penis
Next
TESTS , RESULT , STILL WORRIED

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.