Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

one more time...baby oil, condom, blood
Aug 28, 2001

dear sir, please take some time to answer my question.

several weeks ago i had an encounter with an hiv + woman. i used a condom, but baby oil was the lubricant. there was blood on the outside of the condom (hers). there was no break and i was inside her for five to ten minutes.

could the virus have passed through microscopic holes in damaged latex?

i have been ill for two weeks now with diarrhea.

Response from Mr. Kull

Since oil-based lubricants can cause microscopic tears in a latex condom, it is possible that your risk for infection is greater than if you had used water-based lubricants. However, the fact that you used oil-based lubrication does not make your risk significant; it just raises some questions around the level of protection the condom offered. Being exposed to an infected person's blood does pose a greater risk for infection. It's quite possible that you didn't have mucous membrane contact with HIV, but it's hard to say. Getting tested three-six months after this exposure is advisable.

The odds of getting infected in one episode of UNPROTECTED sex with an HIV infected person are lower than many people think; the fact that you used a condom, even though the integrity of the condom is questionable, could decrease those odds. See my response to "Recent Study of Per Contact Risk" http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/TransmissionSexual/Q13167.qna.

RMK

Previous
Shypilis Chancre?
Next
please answer quick, don't have much time

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.