Blood on skin...

Hi Ryan,

Last week while I was opening the door of an elevator which is used very very frequently I felt something on my finger and it was a reddish black liquid which I'm afraid that could be blood. There was not any open cuts or any sores on my finger but there was this little red spot which was very small and probably under the skin. However I'm scared to death and I'm making scenarios up in my head like: what if that liquid was blood?, what if it was from a HIV+ person?, what if the small red spot is a cut that can reach the bloodstream? and etc..

Am I going nuts or what? Please respond to this, thank you.

HIV is not transmitted by casual contact. This means if your skin comes into contact with HIV infected fluids in your day-to-day activities, it is highly unlikely that you would become infected. HIV needs access to your bloodstream (either through contact with mucous membranes or direct access to blood). HIV does not survive in the environment for very long. There is no evidence that people get infected through casual contact.

If your anxiety about being infected continues, try seeking out some guidance from a mental health professional to assess your level of anxiety.

RMK

hiv obsession and night sweats downunder
Killing the HIV/AIDS virus germs in the household