what's the truth?

Hi Ryan,

There's so much conflicting info. on the net and i was hoping you'd be able to make things a little clearer.

Some places i've read that seroconversion doesn't occur until a minimum of 4 weeks, and usually between 6 - 8 weeks. However, several sites state that the average time is 25 days, indicating that most people seroconvert before this point (as the distribution is skewed).

Is the former out of date?

I've just had a negative test after 6 and a half weeks (about a week after my fever had stopped), and would like to know how indicative this is.

I can't address the information you present since I do not know where you received it. The statistics that I'm familiar with state that the majority of HIV infected people will seroconvert in an average of 25 days. Some people may take longer or shorter. What is most important for you or anyone getting an antibody test is that your HIV test will be most accurate three to six months following your last exposure. It is quite difficult to predict how accurate your six week test is (the data show that it is relatively accurate, but not accurate enough).

RMK

one night stand in West Africa...
infection from rape?