Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what's the truth?
Aug 20, 2001

Hi Ryan,

There's so much conflicting info. on the net and i was hoping you'd be able to make things a little clearer.

Some places i've read that seroconversion doesn't occur until a minimum of 4 weeks, and usually between 6 - 8 weeks. However, several sites state that the average time is 25 days, indicating that most people seroconvert before this point (as the distribution is skewed).

Is the former out of date?

I've just had a negative test after 6 and a half weeks (about a week after my fever had stopped), and would like to know how indicative this is.

Response from Mr. Kull

I can't address the information you present since I do not know where you received it. The statistics that I'm familiar with state that the majority of HIV infected people will seroconvert in an average of 25 days. Some people may take longer or shorter. What is most important for you or anyone getting an antibody test is that your HIV test will be most accurate three to six months following your last exposure. It is quite difficult to predict how accurate your six week test is (the data show that it is relatively accurate, but not accurate enough).

RMK

Previous
one night stand in West Africa...
Next
infection from rape?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.