one night stand in West Africa...

Recently, I had sex with a West African man. He didn't ejaculate and says he is HIV negative. It only happened once, as I quickly came to my senses. Only 8 weeks later I took HIV 1 and HIV 2 tests. The results of the HIV-1 test was negative and I am awaiting the results of the HIV 2 test. I am very scared, as I have had a scratchy throat for about two weeks and have noticed a pustule on my right tonsil. What is the probability that I contracted HIV from this man during one encounter, and am I now experiencing symptoms? Where can I find statistics on west africans and HIV1 or 2 prevalence. thanks.

A great internet resource for worldwide HIV statistics is the UNAIDS website (http://www.unaids.org/hivaidsinfo/index.html). There you can look at recent statistics on the prevalence of HIV and AIDS in different countries around the world.

For more information about HIV-2 in West African countries, see my response to "HIV 2" (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Other/Q36692.qna).

RMK

Time before someone becomes infectious
what's the truth?