Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Time before someone becomes infectious
Aug 16, 2001

i had a very ricky anonymous encounter,and due to some factors i consider myself at high risk if the person ends up HIV POZ. i talked to the person involed and they say they will go for a test later this week and that they just started in this type of risky behavor 3-4 weeks ago. Do you think if they where recently infected in that time and came up NEG on this first test that there viral load would be too low to cause a major risk? keep in mind i am getting test in 3 months regaurdless. but i'm searching for some peace of mind till then. i'd like to be able to get some sleep i think you can understand. thank you

Response from Mr. Kull

During the weeks following HIV infection leading up to seroconversion, the amount of virus in a person's body can become extremely high. Contact with a person's fluids during this period probably poses a greater risk for infection. The same is true for an HIV infected person in the late stages (AIDS) of HIV disease. A person would be able to transmit HIV within days of infection.

See my response to "Time it takes to become HIV infector" (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/TransmissionSexual/Q9786.qna).

RMK

Previous
Herpes and HIV
Next
one night stand in West Africa...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.