Is 11 weeks sufficient enough?

Hi Ryan First of all, thank a lot for all your work, you have been doing a great job. Do you think a HIV blood test at 11 weeks and 4 days is sufficient? Please answer me.

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but deciding whether or not get tested at 11 weeks and 4 days is sufficient is not up to me. The level of comfort you have with that test result is going to determine whether or not it is sufficient. Based on the literature and expert opinion, you can expect 99.9% accuracy on an antibody test between 3-6 months following exposure. Most people develop a detectable level of antibodies within 25 days of infection. Some may take up to three months, and in rare cases, up to six months or longer.

Many organizations--including the Gay Men's Health Crisis, the New York City Department of Health, and my program at Columbia University--say that testing at three months is sufficient. You got tested pretty close to three months.

If you are concerned about getting tested after the window period, may I suggest that you make sure that you get tested at a time with which you feel your results are accurate. That way you won't second guess the results afterwards.

RMK

dry skin
Herpes and HIV