Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

oral sex/precum
Aug 2, 2001

About ten weeks ago I gave a guy oral sex. I tasted precum but stopped before he ejcaulated. I cannot remember any ulcers, cuts in my mouth at the time but developed and ulcer soon (a few days) after this exposure. I don't know his status, but he says he is negative. I have received a number of assessments of my risk (from miniscule to significant). What is your assessment?

Response from Mr. Kull

Well for one thing, your risk is definitely not significant. People have different standards, so take assessments (including mine!) with a healthy level of skepticism.

The evidence is now clear that one can get infected with HIV by performing unprotected oral sex on an HIV infected man. It seems that ejaculation in the mouth increases the risk for transmission, but HIV can be transmitted by pre-cum alone. However, transmission through oral sex is much, much less common than transmission through unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Having open sores, cuts, or irritation in your mouth while performing oral sex may also increase your risk for infection when exposed to HIV infected fluid.

People sometimes choose to use a condom for oral sex. Those who are not comfortable with that may take other precautions like: not putting the head of the penis in their mouth, avoid getting ejaculate in the mouth, abstain from oral sex while experiencing problems with oral health, or abstain from oral sex with partners who are HIV positive or of unknown status. The decisions are up to you.

Read through the oral sex articles at The Body for more info (http://www.thebody.com/safesex/oralsex.html).

RMK

Previous
5 Minute HIV Home test
Next
FEELING SUICIDAL

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.