Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV/STD through being sucked
Jul 29, 2001

I had oral sex with someone I recently met. I felt confident he had played quite safe over the years. I certainly have. I allowed him to suck me without a condom when he insisted that he felt comfortable that I wasn't infected with anything nasty. I didn't think there was anything terribly risky at the time, since he was doing the sucking. I'm now regretting my decision. I reciprocated, but ensured that he wore a condom. Have I seriously set myself up for infection of HIV or other STDs? I don't think he's infected, but who knows? A gay friend seems to think there's miniscule risk in what I did. Your comments please.

Response from Mr. Kull

Your gay friend was right: the risk for infection with HIV through receiving oral sex is miniscule. There is no evidence that anyone has been infected through receiving oral sex. This is probably true because saliva is not a fluid that is implicated in transmitting HIV. The CDC states that the risk of transmission is increased if there is blood in the mouth of the person performing oral sex.

It is possible to get certain STDs through receiving oral sex, though it is probably not as common as genital-genital transmission. See my response to "Can I get STDs..." (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q52472.qna).

Your concern about HIV infection may be fueled by your regret (guilt, shame?) about your sexual contact with this person, especially if this activity was a new experience for you. Your gay friend sounds like he was helpful once; maybe he could talk with you more about some of the feelings you are having.

RMK

Previous
percentage rate of contraction
Next
Hetero Sex-Condom Broke

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.