HIV/STD through being sucked

I had oral sex with someone I recently met. I felt confident he had played quite safe over the years. I certainly have. I allowed him to suck me without a condom when he insisted that he felt comfortable that I wasn't infected with anything nasty. I didn't think there was anything terribly risky at the time, since he was doing the sucking. I'm now regretting my decision. I reciprocated, but ensured that he wore a condom. Have I seriously set myself up for infection of HIV or other STDs? I don't think he's infected, but who knows? A gay friend seems to think there's miniscule risk in what I did. Your comments please.

Your gay friend was right: the risk for infection with HIV through receiving oral sex is miniscule. There is no evidence that anyone has been infected through receiving oral sex. This is probably true because saliva is not a fluid that is implicated in transmitting HIV. The CDC states that the risk of transmission is increased if there is blood in the mouth of the person performing oral sex.

It is possible to get certain STDs through receiving oral sex, though it is probably not as common as genital-genital transmission. See my response to "Can I get STDs..." (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q52472.qna).

Your concern about HIV infection may be fueled by your regret (guilt, shame?) about your sexual contact with this person, especially if this activity was a new experience for you. Your gay friend sounds like he was helpful once; maybe he could talk with you more about some of the feelings you are having.

RMK

percentage rate of contraction
Hetero Sex-Condom Broke