Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I get STDs by oral sex with uninfected person?
Jul 26, 2001

Dear RMK. I've had oral sex with a guy I've known for a year. I am very sure about his past, he has no HIV so I'm not worried about getting HIV. But I AM worried whether I could get STDs like herpes or gonorrhea from him instead. Can someone be born with STDs or can they develop because of poor hygiene or anything? Can I get STDs by swallowing his semen (I did not do it with any cuts in my mouth). Can HE get STDs by giving me oral sex?

Response from Mr. Kull

You can get certain STDs by performing oral sex on a person. Remember, they must be infected with an STD in order for transmission to be possible (sometimes I need to state what may seem obvious). Some STDs that are present as sores or lesions on the skin, like herpes, HPV, and syphilis, may be transmitted to you by having oral contact with the infected areas. Other STDs that are transmitted by fluids or infected mucous membranes in the penis, like gonorrhea, hepatitis B, and syphilis, can also infect you orally (ejaculation in the mouth probably has little to do with it). If you need to learn more about STDs, symptoms, detection, and treatment, see the STD Basics at The Body (http://www.thebody.com/safesex/stdbasics.html).

There are certain sexually transmitted diseases that can be transmitted to your genitals via somebody's mouth. Any infections that occur in or around the mouth, or are transmitted through fluids in the mouth, could theoretically be transmitted to your genital region. STDs that could be transmitted through RECEIVING oral sex are herpes, syphilis, hepatitis B, gonorrhea, and HPV.

Oral-to-genital and genital-to-oral transmission is probably not as common as genital-genital, but it can happen.

RMK

Previous
Anal sex w/ condom BUT other factors?
Next
Oral Sex When Having A Sore Throat

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.