Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

brown saliva in wash room
Jul 18, 2001

i was washing my hands in a public restroom and i saw near the faucet knob a brown thing which looked like saliva. im not sure if i touched it but i know that i dripped water over it to somehow wash it off. i have small cuts in my finger. could i contract HIV through this incident? also, i have a question on exposure to HIV, does exposure to high-risk HIV incidents translate to getting the virus? please cite medical cases.

i am so scared of getting HIV. it has affected my day to day life and im scared to even touch anything for fear of contracting the virus. please answer my questions. i really need to hear answers. i dont know what to do.

Response from Mr. Kull

You are not at risk for HIV infection. There is no evidence that anyone has ever been infected through casual contact (like washing hands in a public restroom). See the CDC's sheet "Frequently Asked Questions about HIV/AIDS Transmission" (http://www.thebody.com/cdc/faq/transmission.html).

Your statements about being scared about HIV infection and your fear that touching anything might lead to infection--to the point that the worry interferes with your day-to-day life--may suggest that your issues are more about anxiety than HIV infection. Anxiety disorders are the most prevalent form of psychiatric problems experienced by people in the United States. Psychiatric and psychotherapeutic treatments are often successful in relieving the symptoms of anxiety. The National Institute of Mental Health (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/anxiety/anxietymenu.cfm) has some useful information about anxiety and anxiety disorders in the United States.

This is nothing to be ashamed of--get treatment if you need it!

RMK

Previous
Can I get infected by fingering a girl?? HELP!!
Next
why do some say risk?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.