The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how can you get it?

Jul 18, 2001

i was wondering if there is any possible way to gets AIDS/HIV by two negative people having unsafe sex? is the only way to get it is by having sex with a positive person?

Response from Mr. Kull

You cannot get infected with HIV if you have sex with a person who is not infected with HIV. The virus is never "created" by sexual activity, drug use, masturbation, or medication. HIV, like some other viruses and bacteria, is transmitted from one person to another when an UNINFECTED person's mucous membranes (lining of the rectum, vagina, urethra, or mouth) or bloodstream comes into contact with HIV infected fluid (blood, semen, vaginal secretions, breast milk). HIV is primarily transmitted through vaginal and anal intercourse without condoms, blood-to-blood contact (injection needles), and mother-to-infant.

A person saying that they are "HIV negative" is not always a confirmation that they are not infected with HIV. It takes up to three months for a person to test HIV positive after being infected with HIV. So, if a person had unprotected sex in the days before or after being HIV tested, it is possible that an HIV negative result is not accurate. This is important to talk about with your sexual partners if you are thinking about not using condoms for intercourse.

To learn more, read through the articles posted at The Body on HIV and AIDS (


Can HSV make me so tired??

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint