Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Jul 17, 2001

Dr. Stephen Goldstone, in his book "The Ins and Outs of Gay Sex : A Medical Handbook for Men"(1999) says that 95% of people will test positive within 1 month after infection.Any comments?

Response from Mr. Kull

I am not familiar with the study from which Dr. Goldstone gets this statistic. You may want to see if a reference is provided to support his statement, and then you could look up information about that study yourself. I do know that Dr. Goldstone is a very reliable and trustworthy source when it comes to information about HIV.

Much information about HIV testing and the window period states that "most" or "the majority" of people will test HIV positive on standard antibody tests within one month of infection. However, by most standards, an antibody test is not considered accurate unless three months have elapsed since exposure.

RMK

Previous
Insertive anal sex partner. My condom broke!
Next
how can you get it?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.