Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLZZZZZZZZZ!
Jul 11, 2001

Dear Sir!

Can i plzzzzz get the answer of these questions!

1)Having unprotected vaginal sex with an HIV +ve woman mean that you WILL get the infection? I mean that are the chances of infection 100 or there is some chance that one can get away with it?

2)What is meant by "Fatigue" which is described as the one of the symptoms of HIV? I mean can anybody describe the feeling of "fatigue"?

3)How much of HIV containing fluid (blood,precum etc) can cause an infection to some one? i mean is there any "minimum" quantity that can cause an infection?

Regards

Response from Mr. Kull

1) Having unprotected sex with an HIV positive person does not mean that infection is inevitable. There are different factors that need to be met, besides one person being infected, for transmission and infection to occur. Some of these factors might include the type of contact you have, the amount of fluid with which you come into contact, the concentration of virus in that fluid, the presence of sexually transmitted infections, the immune response of the uninfected person upon exposure, and other factors that may or may not be understood. A recent study conducted in Africa showed that the odds of transmission per contact (unprotected penile-vaginal intercourse) with an HIV infected person is about 1 in 500 (women were a little more likely to be infected than men, but the difference was statistically insignificant). Most people are surprised to find that the odds are that low. However, I do not suggest that you challenge those odds by having unprotected sex.

2) "Fatigue" can clearly have different meanings for different people. Some may describe it as a feeling of weariness or exhaustion, like you might feel after exercise, a poor night's sleep, or when you have the flu. Sometimes it is difficult to determine to what the fatigue might be related, so it is important to keep track of how long it has been occuring, the severity of it, and any factors that might have influenced fatigue. Fatigue that can't be explained and occurs more days than not should be brought to the attention of a medical provider.

3) This is difficult to say, partially because there are many variable besides the amount of virus in fluid that will influence the chances for infection. You also can't know how much HIV (the concentration) is in the fluid you are coming into contact with because that will vary from person to person. It is best to minimize the amount of bodily fluid you come into contact with in general.

RMK

Previous
Matter of numbers...
Next
Oral Sex Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.