Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

tonsils and exudate
Jul 10, 2001

A few weeks ago, I was the active partner in oral sex with a man whose HIV status is unknown. The incident lasted only a few seconds and he did not ejaculate in my mouth. However, I'm sure some precum was present.

About three weeks later, I came down with an intense soar throat (an inflamed larynx) - I had one day of a low grade fever, muscle aches and malaise.

All my symptoms went away within one day except for my soar throat which moved from my larynx to my left tonsil, which is now inflamed and producing exudate. My throat is worse than it's ever been, but i have no fever and all other symptoms are gone.

This doesn't seem to be in keeping with AVS (but PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong!!!) - Therefore, I was wondering if this could be the symptom of any other sort of STI - I feard gonorhea of the throat, but everything I have read says that in most cases, the normal symptoms of gonorhea are present as well (i.e. penile secretions and pain when urinating)- I have no other symptoms outside of just a really bad, very specific sore throat that will not go away.

I know AVS can appear very similar to infectious mononucleosis, and according to what I've read, the bar-epstein virus which causes mono is one of the few viruses that can produce exudate on the tonsils... is the same true for HIV during AVS (the only reason I ask is because of the OTHER similarities in the way the human body initially responds to both viruses)?

I know this is a lot of info - Sorry to ramble... I would appreciate a response as soon as possible... I'm doing okay, but I'm definitely a little worried!

Thanks!

Response from Mr. Kull

The odds for infection with HIV in one instance of performing unprotected receptive oral sex for a few seconds without ejaculation are low. The same odds would apply to the likelihood that the symptoms you are experiencing would be related to HIV. There is evidence that people have been infected through receptive fellatio (blow-job, sucking), but the numbers are still much lower than those infected through unprotected vaginal or anal sex.

The only way you can truly know your HIV status is to have an antibody test performed at least three months after exposue. It is practically impossible to diagnose infection based on symptoms alone.

It is possible to have a pharyngeal gonococcal infection (gonorrhea of the throat) by performing oral sex on a person with a gonorrhea infection in their penis even if the contact with fluid was minimal. The prevalence of such infections seems much lower than gonorrhea infections in the genitals or rectum. Most people, approximately 90%, with gonococcal infection in their throat are asymptomatic. The other 10% might experience a sore throat (fever, muscle ache, and malaise are not associated with gonorrhea infections). A person can have a gonococcal infection in their throat and not their genitals; gonorrhea infects the area with which it came into contact (it doesn't "move" from the throat to genitals, or vice-versa). A healthcare provider should be able to screen you for gonorrhea and provide anitbiotic treatment if necessary.

If your sore throat persists, you may want to have it checked out by your doctor. You may find out that it is not related to any sexually transmitted infections.

RMK

Previous
Thorough Blood testing?
Next
What are the risks of unprotected sex if both HIV positive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.