Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thorough Blood testing?
Jul 10, 2001

I am a little confused as to how people test your blood and if different tests need to be performed for each possible illness. I will be getting married soon and am just generally worried about the possibility of either of us having something. My girlfriend went to her gynecologist (since we are about to get married and they took some samples and set her up with birth control) and they took blood and said they would test for hep. C and also for a couple common std's (which they did mention), but did not mention anything about testing for things such as hiv. My question is, while testing for hep. c would they be able to determine or would they go ahead and check for hiv as well?

Response from Mr. Kull

It is unlikely that a provider would inform you that they would be screening for hepatitis C and not tell you that they were screening for HIV infection. It is customary for providers to get a client's informed consent for HIV testing, whether it is verbal or in writing, before they proceed with HIV testing. However, many providers might not routinely provide HIV testing unless the client specifically asks for it.

For more information about HIV testing, please read through the articles posted on The Body (http://thebody.com/testing.html).

RMK

Previous
razors
Next
tonsils and exudate

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.