To Those Of You Who Are Worried

Try to relax and do not diagnose yourself over the Internet.

I am a 23 year-old heterosexual male who awhile back had unprotected oral sex with a female I just met at a bar. For days, I obsessed over this and believed I was infected.

I looked at every possible imperfection and tried to link it somehow to HIV (pimples, weight loss/gain, bruises, etc.) Fortunately, after waiting through the window period I was tested and it came out negative.

As hard as it may be, try to relax and keep your wits. I spent many hours on this site, reading numerous posts and obsessing over my situation. I just want to thank you all for contributing so much time and effort into helping people such as myself. As hard as it was, this site helped me to stay somewhat level-headed. THANKS!

Although I was worried for months (until the test) I am grateful for the teaching. I now know the importance of SAFE SEX and not putting myself in risky positions.

Again, for those of you who are worried, do not diagnose yourself and dwell on little details that you think may be symptoms. Seek the help you need either professional or spiritual and stay positive. Best of luck to all!

Thanks for the words of advice. Glad that The Body was able to help you out through a difficult period.

It is important for anyone concerned about being infected to remember that anxiety is a normal response to danger, whether that danger is real or perceived. It is understandable that someone would be anxious after having unprotected sexual contact with a person of unknown or positive serostatus. However, anxiety that gets in the way of your day-to-day functioning may not only be about HIV, especially if all of the facts demonstrate that you are not infected. Seek out some help, face-to-face, with a mental health professional if you feel that your anxiety is out of hand.

RMK

at risk???
anal sex aftermath