The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

constant worry

Jun 27, 2001


I recently recieved oral sex (got a blow job) from someone whos status I don't know and did it without wearing a rubber. Lately I've been consumed with fears that I've contracted HIV despite the fact that this website and several others state that realistically there's very little chance of becoming infected with HIV this way. I called an HIV hotline and they suggested counseling, but I'm not sure were to go, or what type of counselor to see. This fear is starting to interfere with my work and personal life. Thank you.

Response from Mr. Kull

You're right. It is highly unlikely that you would get infected from the encounters you describe. When individuals who visit this forum talk of persistent, disruptive, and intrusive worries, anxieties, or fears--despite being at low-risk for infection--I generally suggest that they investigate the possibility of having anxiety, mood, or other psychological problems. Your best bet for diagnosing and treating mental health problems is through a psychiatrist and/or psychotherapist. Both psychiatric and psychotherapeutic treatments in combination seem to work best for anxiety related disorders. If you are not sure how to locate a psychiatrist or psychotherapist, talk to your medical doctor, insurance company, friends, religious leader, or employee assistance program.

See the National Institute of Mental Health's website for information about anxiety disorders and their treatment (


Negative Elisa but Indeterminate WB - PLEASE HELP
My life has become hell, please answer!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint