constant worry

Ryan,

I recently recieved oral sex (got a blow job) from someone whos status I don't know and did it without wearing a rubber. Lately I've been consumed with fears that I've contracted HIV despite the fact that this website and several others state that realistically there's very little chance of becoming infected with HIV this way. I called an HIV hotline and they suggested counseling, but I'm not sure were to go, or what type of counselor to see. This fear is starting to interfere with my work and personal life. Thank you.

You're right. It is highly unlikely that you would get infected from the encounters you describe. When individuals who visit this forum talk of persistent, disruptive, and intrusive worries, anxieties, or fears--despite being at low-risk for infection--I generally suggest that they investigate the possibility of having anxiety, mood, or other psychological problems. Your best bet for diagnosing and treating mental health problems is through a psychiatrist and/or psychotherapist. Both psychiatric and psychotherapeutic treatments in combination seem to work best for anxiety related disorders. If you are not sure how to locate a psychiatrist or psychotherapist, talk to your medical doctor, insurance company, friends, religious leader, or employee assistance program.

See the National Institute of Mental Health's website for information about anxiety disorders and their treatment (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/anxiety/anxietymenu.cfm).

RMK

Negative Elisa but Indeterminate WB - PLEASE HELP
My life has become hell, please answer!