The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

If someone with hepitis c spit in your eyes

Jun 21, 2001

What are some of the ways hepitis c can be transmitted?

Response from Mr. Kull

Hepatitis C virus (HCV) is transmitted by contact with an infected person's blood. As with HIV, the infected blood needs to come into contact with the bloodstream or mucous membranes for infection to be possible. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggests that one might be at risk for HCV infection if:

*You were notified that you received blood from a donor who later tested positive for hepatitis C

*Have ever injected illegal drugs, even if you experimented a few times many years ago

*Received a blood transfusion or solid organ transplant before July, 1992

*Received a blood product for clotting problems produced before 1987

*Have ever been on long-term kidney dialysis

*Have evidence of liver disease (e.g., persistently abnormal ALT levels)

Since HCV is not found in the saliva of infected people, you cannot be infected with HCV if you get spit in your eye. If is possible that Hepatitis B could be spread this way because hepatitis B virus is found in the saliva of infected people.

There is no vaccine for Hepatitis C at this time, but if you are at risk for infection, it is important that you get tested so that you get appropriate medical care.

Check out The Body's articles on Hepatitis C for more information (


is it my fate? please help!
seven year old kid!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint