The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

testing saliva

Jun 20, 2001

Dear Ryan,

If you can test for hiv thru saliva then why cant you become infected by saliva? Also if a person has a high viral load could saliva become infectious?

Response from Mr. Kull

Oral testing, like HIV antibody blood testing, does not test for HIV, but for antibodies to HIV in oral fluid. An FDA approved test, called Orasure, uses a cotton fiber pad that is placed in between the gum and lower cheek for about two minutes. The collection pad collects oral mucosal transudate (OMT) -- not saliva -- because saliva does not contain enough antibodies for accurate testing. OMT is higher in HIV antibody concentration (if antibodies are present) and contains less contaminants than saliva. The pad is then placed in a preservative solution until it is tested. Standard antibody screening tests are used to determine a person's HIV status. Oral testing is considered by many sources as accurate as blood testing.

HIV can be isolated in the saliva of infected people, but in low concentrations. Saliva also contains a protective factor that renders HIV inactive. There is no epidemiologic evidence that HIV has ever been transmitted through saliva (the absence of transmission through kissing and receiving oral sex are good examples). For those reasons, it is highly unlikely that someone would get infected through saliva contact.


anal warts
Can pre ejaculatory fluid transmit HIV?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint