The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

8 years unprotected sex hiv neg

Jun 11, 2001

I am a male late 30s my girl friend hiv positive since 1991 never told me of her status learned of it late Feb.just took my test came back negative may 29 should still be worried ?

Response from Mr. Kull

Your negative antibody test results are only accurate for any sexual activity that preceded the three months before your test. If you had any unprotected sexual activity with your partner within the three months that preceded your HIV test, then the test should not be considered accurate and you should get tested again. It takes most people to develop a detectable amount of anitbodies in about 27 days, but some may take up to three months. In VERY rare cases some may take six months or possibly longer to develop a detectable level of antibodies. Read through the articles on the "HIV Testing" page at The Body (

It is important that you use condoms with your partner to protect yourself from HIV infection. The reasons why you have not been infected by your partner may never be understood. Do not take the fact that you are negative as proof that you could not be infected by your partner in the future.

The news of your partner's infection must be difficult for the both of you. If you would like more information about how other couples cope with situations similar to yours, visit the "Mixed-HIV-Status-Couples Forum" here at The Body.


Sexually Transmitted diseases caught by oral contact
Possible Exposure

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint