8 years unprotected sex hiv neg

I am a male late 30s my girl friend hiv positive since 1991 never told me of her status learned of it late Feb.just took my test came back negative may 29 should still be worried ?

Your negative antibody test results are only accurate for any sexual activity that preceded the three months before your test. If you had any unprotected sexual activity with your partner within the three months that preceded your HIV test, then the test should not be considered accurate and you should get tested again. It takes most people to develop a detectable amount of anitbodies in about 27 days, but some may take up to three months. In VERY rare cases some may take six months or possibly longer to develop a detectable level of antibodies. Read through the articles on the "HIV Testing" page at The Body (http://www.thebody.com/testing.html).

It is important that you use condoms with your partner to protect yourself from HIV infection. The reasons why you have not been infected by your partner may never be understood. Do not take the fact that you are negative as proof that you could not be infected by your partner in the future.

The news of your partner's infection must be difficult for the both of you. If you would like more information about how other couples cope with situations similar to yours, visit the "Mixed-HIV-Status-Couples Forum" here at The Body.

RMK

Sexually Transmitted diseases caught by oral contact
Possible Exposure