Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

syringe injury at work
Jun 10, 2001

Hi,

I have read your answer on HIV survival in a syringe. So, now I am evern more concerned.Could you please give me some idea of what my risk would be being punctured by a discarded syringe? I do not work in healthcare but a very nice restaurant. The syringe was in the kitchen area with dirty dishes and cutlery used by customers and handled by employees with unknown source. I am very scared. Thank you.

Response from Mr. Kull

The question I responded to about HIV survival in a syringe (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/TransmissionNon/Q9637.qna) has greatest relevance to injection drug users and little application to accidental punctures in situations like yours. Individuals who share needles that are used to draw blood into the syringe are at greatest risk for HIV transmission. HIV is more likely to survive within the bore of the needle than it would on the surface, which is a concern for drug users who think that it is safe to use a needle that hasn't been used by another person for a few hours.

There are a lot of unknown variables in your situation that would clearly make you nervous, and HIV testing would be recommended. However, the likelihood of transmission occurring in your case is very low. It is unlikely that during an accidental puncture that any fluid within the bore would be injected into the body. And any HIV infected fluid on the outside of the needle would not survive very long in the environment. It's also possible that the syringe was not used by an HIV infected person.

RMK

Previous
HIV and Herpes II
Next
arms going numb!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.