Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Precum got on open cut - broken/infected nail
Jun 7, 2001

Hello. I have yet another anxiety ridden post about a possible transmission.

I was giving a hand job to a 42 year old gay male and he had a very large amount of precum that got on my hands and nails. I bite my nails visciously and I had small infections in 2 nails (swelling, pain, but no visible pus though). When his precum got on the area, I actually felt it burning as if it were alcohol. I tried to rub it off without making a scene about it. However, I am worried that the high levels of WBCs in the area of an infection like that would make HIV transmission very likely. Am I right about this? HIV ultimately goes from WBC to WBC right - regardless of whether or not it's blood, semen, or whatever? Or, would the broken nail area be more likely to BLOCK the HIV because it's set up a wall of dead white blood cells? (wishful thinking...)

The worst part of this is of course 5 days later, I developed swolen tonsils & lymph nodes, yellow dots on my tonsils, and some joint pain. The strangest symptom I've had is a bizarre chest pain. Could this possibly be my thymus? It's in the same exact area but I don't know if the thymus has pain receptors. That is where T-cells differentiate... I don't know, this whole thing is sounding like a total disaster. I even have this weird metallic citrusy taste in my mouth... I can't describe what it is exactly. Please let me know what you think about this scenario.

Lastly, since I am already having symptoms - could I go to a doctor and request a PCR test? Would it be useful? It's only been 9 days but I've already had a wide array of symptoms and what I think is a highly likely transmission route.

Thanks in advance for reading this.

Response from Mr. Kull

The activity you engaged in--giving somebody a handjob--is not a "highly likely transmission route." You need to remember that many, many people bite their nails, and there is no evidence that anyone has been infected by giving a handjob. This doesn't mean that transmission is impossible; it just means that you are talking about a highly unlikely event.

You have already identified that you are anxious. Try to find a way to deal with your anxiety FIRST. It is more likely that anxiety, and not HIV, may be truly interfering with your life.

RMK

Previous
Is Lap Dancing Safe?
Next
anal-mouth contact

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.