Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

married and in depression
Jun 5, 2001

Hi, I recently had a gay sexual experience with two men while on a business trip.After one of them came,I might have had semen on my finger while I deep fingered myself anally.I DID SEE BLOOD AFTER I REMOVED MY FINGER FROM MY ANUS.My partner said he was HIV- but I'm totally sick with fear that I may have infected myself with my finger in my anus with his semen. I'm going to have to wait 2 more months before getting tested so the minimum 3 month period has concluded.Am I doomed? I've been married for 19 years and this in my only gay experience. Do I have a fair chance for infection,if my partner was in fact HIV+? Please answer if you would....

Response from Mr. Kull

Having HIV infected semen come into contact with the mucous membranes of your rectum does present a possibility for infection. However, this does not mean that you were infected or that you are at significant risk for infection. It sounds like you are unsure about several factors in this encounter, and that you've been focusing on the absolute worse case scenario.

The bottom line is that there is no documented evidence of someone getting infected through fingering. Sexual transmission of HIV most often occurs through unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse, and to a much smaller degree through performing oral sex on men. Variables such as the type of fluid, the volume of fluid, the amount of virus in that fluid, the presence of STDs, and the uninfected person's immune response, all play a role in the likelihood of transmission. One exposure like yours poses little risk for infection, but given the circumstances, it is understandable that you would want to get tested.

Try not to deal with the issues you are experiencing in isolation. If you are depressed or anxious, see a mental health professional. This may be an important time for you to explore some feelings about your relationships, feelings and sexuality.

RMK

Previous
Oral Sex and Sex Worker
Next
Probability of infection?!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.