The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral Sex and Sex Worker

Jun 5, 2001

I recetnly had a HIV test, which was negative...however, about a month and a half earlier I performed oral sex on a call girl. I did have the very beginning stages of gum disease at the real bleeding (but dentist has since treated it). I have had no other sexual contact in about 9 months and in that instance I received oral sex, should I wait for another 8 months or so, and have another HIV test?? How much do these test cost if one does not have health insurance? I know that the transmission probability is lower than anal or vaginal sex? But how long should i wait before re-testing?

Response from Mr. Kull

It is generally recommended that one waits a minimum of three months following a potential exposure to have an HIV antibody test. See my response to "Definite Exposure" for more information on the window period.

You are at low-risk for infection when performing oral sex on a woman. Having gum disease may increase the possibility of transmission, but you still remain at low-risk for infection. See my response to "HIV from oral sex" (

You should be able to find free testing in your area, possibly through your local department of health. Health insurance is not required. Give the National AIDS Hotline at the CDC a call for more information 1.800.232.4636.


Genital Warts
married and in depression

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint