testing question

I am a 30 year old wife and mother of four. I have a question about the accuracy of the ELISA test. I had unprotected sex in June of 1988 without thinking. In 1992 I became pregnant with my fourth child and was tested for HIV and it came back negative. Recently I was diagnosed with a gum abscess and put on antibiotics. I developed what I thought was thrush but the doctor did a KOH stain and there was no yeast. At the time I requested another HIV test just to put my mind at ease. However I was still taking the antibiotic that was prescribed for the abscess. I guess my question is this: will amoxicillin affect the ELISA test in any way? Thank you.

Amoxicillin, or any antibiotics for that matter, should not interfere with the accuracy of HIV antibody tests, like the ELISA. If you would like more specific information about the accuracy of HIV antibody testing, please see Frequently Asked Questions (II).

Ryan M. Kull, CSW

Legally live together or get married?
concerned about contacting HIV through genital contact but not insertion