Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Legally live together or get married?
Jul 12, 2000

I understand many people are on SSDI and/or other forms of assistance once meds and treatments are required. My hiv+ boyfriend and I would like to explore the next level to our relationship. We're hetero -- and I'm hiv-. We are under the impression my income would be considered if we became engaged. I need some facts and wondered if this is in fact true, that the gov't would cut back his benefits due to my income. (As if I could afford the 2,000-3,000 monthly med costs, in addition to other living costs!) Any clear facts you could point me to would be great. I'm hoping this doesn't mean what I think it does: that those with hiv/aids are doomed to remain singular even if they do find love and commitment, due to needing the benefits which keep them alive. Thanks very much for any info.

Response from Mr. Kull

Your situation sounds confusing and frustrating. Unfortunately, this is an area where I do not have much information. Try contacting your local AIDS organization to see if they can be of some assistance. Good luck!

Ryan M. Kull, CSW

Previous
TESTING WINDOW
Next
testing question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.