Legally live together or get married?

I understand many people are on SSDI and/or other forms of assistance once meds and treatments are required. My hiv+ boyfriend and I would like to explore the next level to our relationship. We're hetero -- and I'm hiv-. We are under the impression my income would be considered if we became engaged. I need some facts and wondered if this is in fact true, that the gov't would cut back his benefits due to my income. (As if I could afford the 2,000-3,000 monthly med costs, in addition to other living costs!) Any clear facts you could point me to would be great. I'm hoping this doesn't mean what I think it does: that those with hiv/aids are doomed to remain singular even if they do find love and commitment, due to needing the benefits which keep them alive. Thanks very much for any info.

Your situation sounds confusing and frustrating. Unfortunately, this is an area where I do not have much information. Try contacting your local AIDS organization to see if they can be of some assistance. Good luck!

Ryan M. Kull, CSW

TESTING WINDOW
testing question