The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Jul 17, 2000

I have noticed that in the past 2 to 3 weeks I have had these sort of roundish dark spots or rash like spots to appear on my upper body mainly under my arms and on my sides they have started to spread around my lower body on my thigh right beside my pubic hair. And I noticed one rash spot on the top part of the shaft of my penis. These spots ITCH like Hell whenever I get out the shower or get out of the Bath Tub.. I have been using a type of anti-itch lotion used to treat all types of insect bites and other rashes and they have been drying up I do see a difference. But Do you think that this could be a sign that I have HIV. I have never been tested in My life but I am so scared to get tested. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

Response from Mr. Kull

Skin conditions can be really confusing, so I understand your concern. However, I am not a doctor so I am reluctant to even guess what might be going on with you. It is really important for a professional to actually look at what’s going on with your skin while the symptoms are present. Without any kind of risk history, I cannot assess your risk for HIV exposure or the urgency for you to get tested.

My recommendation: go see a dermatologist (a medical doctor who specializes in problems involving the skin). You could probably get a referral to one through your primary care physician. Many health clinics have a dermatologist on staff or on call. Be careful using over-the-counter products to treat something that you do not understand. It could aggravate your skin condition.

Good luck to you as you try to figure this out.


Need your opinion
Can you get an STD if you use a condom?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint