The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Peace of Mind for a Mistake made...

Jul 19, 2000

About a month ago, I made a poor decision to have unprotected sex with a guy that attended the same small town private college as me, at a wedding. Unfortunately, I know nothing about his sexual history or if he has any STD's (and I have not talked to him since). My question is, when can I get tested for the other STD's besides HIV? I know I read a general "timetable" of testing, but can I get multiple tests done at the same time and is there a good "# of months" after exposure to do an "all inclusive" testing session? I need to have peace of mind, and know either way. I do not have any symptoms right now of anything, but it's only been less than a month. I'm just a little worried, and I don't want to jeopardize my health any further if I possibly can. Thank you for your time.

Response from Mr. Kull

Please refer to Rick Sowadsky's answer to STDs and Testing. You'll find that there is no single test for all STDs. Some STDs, like herpes, genital warts and molluscum, need to be diagnosed by a doctor when symptoms are present. General screenings usually include tests for chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis and hepatitis.

You can make an appointment for STD testing with your local Planned Parenthood. Call 1-800-230-PLAN to reach your nearest Planned Parenthood. Or call the CDC's National STD hotline 1-800-227-8922 for more information.


Would the genital warts come back if positive?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint