Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk factors and Acute viral syndrome
May 30, 2001

Mr. Kull, about a month ago I did a rather stupid thing. After driving around a downtown area of my city I picked up a woman and she performed oral sex on me for a couple minutes. I did not ejaculate in her mouth. I asked her before hand if she had any STDs and she said no and that she normally wouldnt do what she did except she knew I was harmless because of my young age. I know recieving oral sex is a low risk factor but 32 days later I became very sick with a high temperature and sore throat. My doctor gave me an antibiotic and within 24 hours my fever went down. I have several questions to ask and I will seperate them to make them easier to answer. 1.)My penis, around the head, was a bit red from masterbating earlier in the day. No skin was BROKEN but it was a bit raw. Does this pose an increased risk for infection? 2.)If the illness I experienced was acute viral syndrom would antibiotics make my temp. drop and symptoms lessen within 24 hours? 3.)Do you in your personal opinion feel I need to be tested? I know my experience is low risk but low risk is not NO risk so Im asking what you would do in my situation.

Please respond to my questions because I am a bit worried and scared to have sexual relations with anyone I care for at this point. Thank you..

Response from Mr. Kull

Since there is no evidence that anyone has been infected by receiving oral sex, it is unlikely that you were infected in the incident you describe and the need for testing is debatable. You had sexual contact, so testing is legitimate, but it is generally not recommended for cases like yours.

Getting sick 32 days later does not change the fact that it is highly unlikely that you would get infected through receiving oral sex. Antibiotics would probably not provide any relief from the symptoms of acute retroviral syndrome.

RMK

Previous
oral sex once
Next
Terrified...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.