prostitutes and std transmission

Hi Ryan,

I had sex with 2 amsterdam prostitutes in the red light district with a condom on. But when I took the condom off, I wasn't real careful and could have gotten whatever was on the condom on the shaft of my penis. 1. Does that cause a risk of hiv infection? 2. What is the risk of herpes and other std infections if you use a condom? I've read condoms don't prevent herpes.

1) HIV infected fluids coming into contact with intact skin (skin that doesn't have any cuts or open sores) does not pose a risk for infection because skin prevents HIV's access to your bloodstream. The skin on the shaft of your penis does not give HIV access to your bloodstream.

2) Condoms may not be completely effective in preventing the transmission of herpes simplex virus, the virus that causes herpes infection. Since herpes is transmitted by skin-to-skin contact, any area of the skin in the genital region that is not covered by a condom may be at risk for contact, and infection, with herpes sores/lesions. Read my response to "Can you get an STD if you use a condom?" (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/PreventionSexual/Q2973.qna) for more information.

RMK

having anal unprotected sex with positive partner
Casaul contact risk