unprotected sex with treated person

Recently we found out that my girlfriend is pos. Although we made love several times I was lucky not to be infected. Now that she is under treatment of combivir +efavirenz and cd4 is<50 is there a big risk to be infected? especially because I was not the years before. thanks

It is important that you continue using condoms with your partner. Basing your current decisions about sexual practices on the fact that you have not been infected in the past is not advisable. There are many variables that contribute to infection during each sexual encounter, and each time you have unprotected sex you run the risk of increasing the odds that the conditions for infection will be met.

There is some recent research that suggests that an HIV positive person with a very low or undetectable viral load in their blood is less likely to transmit HIV to their sexual partner (see study abstract at http://www.nejm.org/content/2000/0342/0013/0921.asp). This is good news for serodiscordant couples, but it is too soon to throw away the condoms.

RMK

herpes HSV-1 and oral sex
Diarea-symptom of HIV infection?