Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Broken Condom As Bottom?

Hi. Just had sex in the last hour whereby the condom broke while bottoming. We stopped immediately so he did not ejaculate. I was tested in the last week and so was he, and we both came out negative. Is there a potential risk?

Response from Mr. Jacobs

Hi there, I can understand how an event like this can be scary. On one hand you thought you had protection because your partner used a condom. On the other, condoms can break, which leaves the bottom vulnerable to these unintended consequences. What's a healthy sexual bottom to do? More on that in a moment.

The answer to your question is that I can't see any risk for HIV here, nor any serious risk with any other STI. Remember in order to acquire HIV one must receive it from another person who is living with HIV and has a deductible viral load. The person living with HIV must transmit from their mucous membranes into another human's mucous membranes via blood, semen, or vaginal fluids, hence why sexual intercourse and IV drug use are the most common routes between adults.

In your case we can rule all that out because (1) Your partner didn't ejaculate inside you and (2) They are not HIV positive.

There is a slight possibility that other STIs could have been transmitted this way if they were present such as gonorrhea, chlamydia, or syphilis. These are easier transmit than HIV, and often can be acquired through more casual touch, body rubbing, insertion without ejaculation. But again, your partner would actually have an STI in order to transmit an STI, and even if they did there is no guarantee you would have gotten them during the events you described.

The only way you will truly know the answer to your questions is to get tested by a health care professional. Even if the condom hadn't broke, getting "3 site testing" every 3 months is advised for any sexually active adult who has more than one partner (and it still doesn't hurt for those with one partner). "3 site testing" means they test your throat, butt, urine, (and/or vagina) to see if there are any STIs detected in these areas. It is important to ask for this if it is not offered to you. A negative result from just your throat or urine would not tell you if you had an STI in your butt.

Unfortunately, condoms can fail/break/not get used for a number of reasons. For people who are sexually active and may not use condoms consistently, PrEP is now an option that allows bottoms to be in control of their sexual health and protected from HIV whether or not a condom is used. For more information about PrEP please check out our page here at The Body: http://www.thebody.com/index/treat/tenofovir_prevention.html . You can also join my Facebook "PrEP Facts" group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrEPFacts .

I hope this information allows you to relax and make decisions that will enhance your experience of pleasure, connection, and empowerment in your sexual encounters. Enjoy!

Unprotected Sex on PEP - Risk to Negative Partner?
Prep on demand not taken correctly