Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Topping After Other Guys With HIV?

I was recently at a sex party and had unprotected sex with a guy whod had many guys cum in his butt right before me. The bottom was negative and on prep but I dont know whether the other tops were. Lets say one (or more) has hiv and werent on meds. How high of a risk was this and am I likely to get hiv?

Response from Mr. Jacobs

Hi there, thank for writing in and asking a commonly asked question both here at The Body and in my PrEP Facts Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrEPFacts/).

We often get the question - Would an HIV negative man who is not on PrEP be at risk if he fucked loads inside another man of a previous partner who had detectable HIV?

Although no research study has ever examined this (it would be interesting to get approval from any ethics committee!), our best medical answer is "no," the second person would not be at any risk if the first person had detectable levels of HIV.

As Dr. Rob Beil shared with us a few years ago, "There certainly haven't been studies on the infection potential of semen in an uninfected person's rectum but I'll stand by my statement that it would hugely improbable. The rectum isn't a great incubator so the sperm cells and HIV would start dying after being deposited. I guess the transmission risk as always would be higher to an uncut top, who could trap infectious material under their foreskin and give it time to work its way in. And any sores or penile lesions make tops more susceptible."

So although there is no clear science to tell us yes or no on this one, the medical probabilities point to "no" or "improbable."

Your question brings up another salient point: PrEP only protects the person who is taking it. If you are someone who enjoys sexual encounters with others and may prefer the intimacy and sensation of fucking without latex barriers, then I'd encourage you consider taking PrEP for yourself. If you are in the U.S. you can find providers in your area in the national PrEP Directory: www.PrEPLocator.org. Outside the U.S. there are some resources listed in the global directory at https://www.pleaseprepme.global.

I hope this information allows you to relax and make decisions that enhance your health, pleasure, and joy of connecting with others. For more information about PrEP ,please join my PrEP Facts group over on Facebook at : https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrEPFacts/

Major anxiety! Please help!!
2 HIV Negative Gay Men?