Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Major anxiety! Please help!!

I have been going out of my mind because of a situation that happened to me a while ago! I was in a public toilet and noticed some blood on the toilet paper holder. I immediately thought to myself avoid, but somehow When I went to wash my hands, I noticed that some of the blood was on my thumb where I just so happened to have a cut! I cant remember how bad my cut was, but it didnt need medical attention. My only worry is that since I have felt ill with anxiety of possibly contracting HIV. I have noticed that my glands have been up and down a lot and I just really need some advice! Am I looking into this too much?

Please respond!

Response from Mr. Jacobs

Hi there! Based on the circumstance you are describing, there is no way an HIV transmission can occur. HIV must be transmitted from the mucous membranes from one person directly into the mucous membranes of another, hence whey sexual contact and IV drug use are the most common routes. It cannot be transmitted through hugging, kissing, rubbing genitals, sharing toilets, touching, crying, etc.

The other thing to remember as well as is that is weakened/killed off immediately upon contact with oxygen. So let's say that someone else before you was HIV+, detectable (transmittable), and had left blood on the sink. Even if that unlikely scenario, you would not be able to acquire, even if you had had a bloody open wound, as that person's blood had been outside their body for a considerable amount of time.

My colleague Roger Pebody here at The Body recently posted a common explaining some of the most common questions we receive here at The Body about HIV transmission. Blood and body fluids in bathrooms made #7 on his list -- you may wish to check it out here: http://www.thebody.com/slideshows/ten-common-fears-about-hiv-transmission/7

I hope this answer helps you to relax, and live your life day-to-day fully aware of how one can and cannot acquire HIV. For more information, check out our resource page here at The Body.com: http://www.thebody.com/content/30024/hiv-transmission.html

Enjoy!

Sexual contact with hiv+ positive man (scared to death, please respond)
Topping After Other Guys With HIV?