Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Sexual contact with hiv+ positive man (scared to death, please respond)

I was on a night out recently and I was flirting with this man and he reached down and grabbed my penis for about 2 seconds then let go.

I later found out this man was hiv+

Im afraid that if he maybe had some semen or blood on his hand and it may have entered through the urethra when he touched me?

Am I at risk?

Thank you in advance

Response from Mr. Jacobs

Hello there, thank you for writing in!

Based on the events you describe there is zero risk of acquiring HIV from this encounter. Why is this?

(1) You didn't have sex with this man. (2) You don't know if he is undetectable or not (3) HIV can't live outside the body (4) Again, no sex.

HIV is actually a pretty difficult virus to get. It must be transmitted from the mucous membranes of one person directly into the mucous membranes of another. It cannot be casually transmitted just by touching someone, hugging, kissing, rubbing genitals, mutual masturbation, sharing bathrooms, etc.

Our colleague Roger Pebody here at The Body recently posted some of the most common questions we receive here about non-sexual ways to transmit HIV, none of which are risk factors. Check out his post here: http://www.thebody.com/slideshows/ten-common-fears-about-hiv-transmission

Also, as mentioned above, someone who is HIV+ and undetectable cannot sexually transmit HIV to others. To learn more about that please go to the Prevention Access Campaign at https://www.preventionaccess.org/ .

Of course the only way you are going to receive the answers you seek are to get tested. But based on the encounter you describe, there was no opportunity for HIV to be transmitted. I hope this information can help you relax and have the kind of experiences that enhance your pleasure and connection instead of exaggerate your fear. Have fun!

Sex with someone on PrEP?
Major anxiety! Please help!!