Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sex with someone on PrEP?

Nov 20, 2018

I had sex (bottomed) for someone on prep. They showed me their prep prescription on their email and said they were tested 2 weeks before. I was tested 1 month after and was std free. Is there any need to get tested again?

Response from Mr. Jacobs

Hi there, congratulations on making your sexual health decisions based in science and medicine. You could get tested again, there's no harm. If you had been exposed to any STDs from this encounter, then 30 days would have been a sufficient window period for them to show up. If your partner was truly on PrEP as he stated, and there seems to be no reason to think he wasn't, then he would not have HIV and cannot transmit HIV. So based on the situations you describe, it seems there is no medical urgency to getting retested for HIV or STIs.

However, this is definitely one of those occasions where I would love to know the reasons why you are not using PrEP yourself. I don't doubt your partner was on PrEP but I do question the logic of you using another person's health decisions as your own way of preventing HIV. If you wish to remain HIV negative that is 100% your responsibility, not anyone else's.

If you're like me and about 380,000 other people in the world, and you enjoy having the option of having sex without condoms without acquiring HIV, then you may choose to use PrEP for yourself. It is a wonderful tool for bottoms in order to be in complete control of their HIV status regardless of what their partners say or do.

We discuss PrEP regularly in the "PrEP Facts" group page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrEPFacts. There you can ask questions including about the many ways to access and afford PrEP. I hope you will consider learning more and finding out if PrEP is the right decision for you.

Thank you for writing in. I hope this information helps you to make proactive, responsible, and empowered decisions about your pleasure and protection.

Previous
I shaved my chest then after two days I'm having red dot like burning rash near the hair follicles....
Next
Sexual contact with hiv+ positive man (scared to death, please respond)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.